Friday, September 09, 2011

Quezon City: Our Lady of Peňafrancia at the Radio Veritas Chapel

Last September 8, 2011, I and my mother went to Radio Veritas to visit a well known and miraculous Marian image in the Philippines. Getting to Radio Veritas is easy because of its location inside the Paramount Building at the corner of EDSA and West Avenue in Quezon City. Radio Veritas 846,”Radyo Totoo”, is a Catholic AM radio station with its different programs broadcasted live 24/7.


Ina


The chapel of Radio Veritas hosts from time to a time travelling replica of some of the popular and miraculous Catholic images. September is the Blessed Virgin Mary’s birthday month and as well the time of the year for the Peňafrancia Festival of the Bicol Region, the chapel has a very relevant guest image. The purpose of our visit is to see the replica of Our Lady of  temporarily enshrined at the chapel.


At the Radio Veritas Chapel


The chapel was almost full when we arrived before noon. It has been more than 15 years since I last saw the image of the Our Lady of Peňafrancia in Naga City. Seeing the replica at the Radio Veritas made me happy, I felt a sense of calmness and I longing to revisit Naga City which is a very special place. Seeing the image, I recalled my childhood days in Naga and how fervently we asked the Blessed Mary to pray for us and intercede for our safety when a typhoon directly hits Bicol. The rosary was said before the mass, there were no vacant seats left many of the old ladies were standing while praying, and I think their faith and devotion made them strong. I guess most of the devotees that were inside the chapel were also in one way or another connected to the Bicol region for the Blessed Virgin Mary known as Our Lady of Peňafrancia is the loving patroness of the region. I am very thankful that an opportunity to see the image on the birthday of the Blessed Virgin Mary came my way.

The centuries old image of the Our Lady of Peňafrancia is enshrined at the Basilica Minore in Naga City. I hope that we can get to visit again the shrine and Bicol very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment